Date of publication: October 28th, 2022
Genre: Suspense, Paranormal, Romance
Series: The Guardians
Shadowed Horizons—Book 1 (review here)
Shadowed Origins—Book 2 (review here)
Shadowed Passages—Book 3
Shadowed Spirits—Book 4 (review here)
Shadowed Intent—Book 5
Purchase Links: Amazon
Detective Wade’s search for her sister leads to an abandoned building and a man with two teens, a fierce battle where light poles bend like pipe cleaners, and twenty-six unmarked shallow graves.
A sibling addicted to extreme sports used to be her biggest challenge. Now fate has chosen to widen her horizons and test her unique psychic skill set. With her Bernese mountain dog by her side, they must fathom friend from foe while staying one step ahead of the organization responsible for kidnapping those with psychic abilities.
Parker Ratham’s goal of locating psychically talented teens and adults held prisoner takes him deep into the Connecticut forests. On a stormy night, he crosses paths not only with a serial killer, but also a young teen running from unknown assassins.
Each must learn to trust and work as a unit while staying ahead of those seeking to capture or kill.
A midnight hike through thick, forested land ending with a creepy abanonded insitution would be less unnerving without slivers of moonlight casting phantom shadows across broken windows.Shadowed Intent by Reily Garrett
I love reading series. I mean, who doesn’t? I love seeing new characters get their romance (if I am reading a romance) and minor updates on older characters. So, I always say yes if I have been reading/reviewing a series and an author asks me to review the next book. That was the case with Shadowed Intent. I am glad I did because I got to see Parker get his romance and see what twists this book would bring to the continued storyline of finding the gifted people. I wasn’t disappointed.
Shadowed Intent had an exciting plotline with more twists and turns than a mountain road. Detective Wade is out in the woods searching for her missing sister when she accidentally runs into Parker and Casper. They are with another teenager who has just been saved from being abducted by the organization they have been fighting with. After discovering that Wade has powers like Keira, Parker brings her to their home base. Can Wade help Keira’s found family? Can she help the imprisoned people before more die? And more importantly, can she find her sister before something horrible happens to her?
Shadowed Intent is the 5th book in the Guardians series. It can be read as a standalone book. But, I suggest reading from book 1. That way, you get why Keira and her group are fighting the people they’re fighting. You also will get the background on the different family dynamics and romantic relationships between background characters.
Shadowed Intent takes place in Connecticut with side trips to Texas and Pennsylvania. The author doesn’t get into much detail about where in Connecticut this book takes place. But, if I had to guess, it would be in the western part of the state.
The main characters of Shadowed Intent had some unique abilities. I loved reading how their characters interacted with each other as well as the other members of the team.
- Parker. I was super excited when it became clear that this was Parker’s story. The author got more into his background and how his power manifested (the tragic drowning of his older brother). I did think that he was a little too patient with Wade, but given what they were up against, it made sense. I also loved his banter with Casper!! It had me cracking up laughing. His ability was also showcased more in this book. I wish that I could slow down time.
- Wade. I got a little irritated by her at first. She refused to listen to Casper when told what was going on. Instead, she brushed her off and treated her like a kid (well, she is, but Casper is much more than that). When confronted with the truth, she didn’t believe it until Casper morphed her and Parker through the abandoned facility. When her power was revealed, I was impressed. Her ability to talk to animals surpassed Keira’s. And her secondary ability was flipping awesome!!! It was something new, and it was scary.
- Casper. I loved this spitfire. She was determined to bring down the organization that killed her parents. She was also more powerful than the author lets on. There were glimpses in this book and the previous one. She was also a perfect foil for Wade and Parker (her defacto parents).
The secondary characters (including Wade’s sister, Silver) were just as well fleshed out as they always are with this author. They all brought added depth to the book. While I know Silver will probably be featured in an upcoming but, I hope another character is also featured. I was fascinated by this character and his ability (slow aging).
Shadowed Intent is a romantic suspense novel. It fits those genres well. The romance between Parker and Wade is low-key and kept in the background. But, the author did work in some kissing scenes and one or two nongraphic sex scenes towards the end of the book. This book also had a ton of suspense. I couldn’t put my Kindle down because I had to know what would happen next.
There are two main storylines and a bunch of smaller ones in Shadowed Intent. The main storyline runs throughout this series: Find and defeat the people kidnapping and experimenting on people with abilities. The author did branch off this storyline for several secondary ones (like the serial killer, the kidnapped kids/murdered adults, and how people were being forced into their abilities). The other main storyline centered around Wade, Parker, and Wade’s kidnapped sister. Both of those storylines (and the secondary ones) were well written.
I am going to include a trigger warning in this review. I usually don’t, but I felt that, in this case, it is warranted. The triggers are torture, kidnapping, attempted kidnapping, and mass murder. If any of these trigger you, I recommend not to read the book.
The end of Shadowed Intent was terrific. I loved the final fight scenes with the serial killer and his accomplice. There were things revealed that I didn’t see coming, and there were reunions that touched my heart. The author did wrap up Wade and Parker’s storyline in a way that I loved. Now, I am wondering who will be next. Dacian and Silver? I also want to know who is watching the group but staying hidden. I have a feeling I know who it is, but I don’t want to stay.
Three reasons why you should read Shadowed Intent:
- Amazing characters
- Great storylines
- It can be read as a standalone (see above)
Three reasons why you shouldn’t read Shadowed Intent:
- Does have triggering content (see above)
- The romance was almost too low-key.
- The serial killer. He was pure evil.
I would recommend Shadowed Intent to anyone over 21. There is graphic violence and language. The sex scenes are nongraphic too.