Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
How it works:
She assigns each Tuesday a topic and then posts her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.
- Instalove: Instalove is always a sore spot for me when I read romances. I just don’t think having someone fall in love within a couple of days is realistic. So, I am always eye rolling and making snarky ass comments about Instalove in real life.
2. When the blurb doesn’t even come close to describing the book: I can’t tell you how much that irks me. I usually read the blurb to see if I want to read the book and feel cheated if the book is totally different than described.
3. When the cover doesn’t even come close to visualizing the book: Same as #2. I get seriously irked when the cover is different than what the book is about. There are a couple of publishers who do this regularly and it drives me crazy (but not crazy enough to not read the book)
4. When the book starts at chapter 1 and there is supposed to be a map and/or glossary: (This pertains to ebooks). I get peeved when I start an ebook and it starts right at chapter one and you know, from reading reviews, that there is supposed to be either a map or glossary.
5. Having a book come back dogeared: I have stopped loaning out my personal books because of this. I hate dogearring my books and get super irritated if they come back like that.
6. Writing in the book: I do not write in my books (my review books are digital but not my personal ones). I loathe it when I take a book out from the library or buy it at a used bookstore/swap meet and there is writing in it.
7. Broken Spines: I know that books spines get broken but I still don’t like it. I hate opening a book and feel everything kinda shift because the spine is broken.
8. Bad editing: Now, I say this knowing that 90% of the books I review are from indie authors and most of them cannot afford a professional editor. But I can’t stand it when there are obvious editing/grammar mistakes. I won’t mention anything in my review but I will let them know in the email I send them with all the links.
9. Love Triangles: Now I know love triangles are part of the romance genre but I don’t like them. Someone gets hurt and then the hurt one becomes salty and tries to ruin the romance between the main characters.
10. Overused Tropes: Listen, I get that certain tropes (enemies to lovers for example) are all the rage but I would love to see something different. Reading the same trope, over and over in different books, numbs my brain.
Now that my inner grump is quelled, anything you want to add? Let me know!!